Certificate in Somatic Attachment Focused Expressive Therapies® (SAFE-T®)
Psychotherapy Training for Trauma Healing and Emotion Regulation in Children & Adults
Somatic Attachment Focused Expressive Therapies® (SAFE-T) are a range of modalities that can enhance profound Attachment System Repair.
You will Learn to:
- Identify attachment styles
- Use appropriate language that will help you attune quickly to your client’s nervous system
- Help clients identify secure base and safe haven gaps
- Support clients to find and grow internal and external resources
- Use ritual and rhythm in the counselling session to create safety
- Learn ‘corrective experiences’ necessary for secure functioning
- Introduce processes to support emotion regulation
- Involve the body in your experiential processes
- Use a range of expressive modalities to support your client’s learning style
- Increase your clients self awareness and emotional intelligence
- Increase your capacity for presence, holding space and ‘being with’ each client
The Training Program
In six, 3-day workshops over seven months, you will learn the core principles that underlie the SAFE-T ® approach to healing trauma and developing attachment repair, whilst also learning how to use a large range of Expressive Therapy modalities.
What is SAFE-T®?
SAFE-T® is a multi-modal approach to healing trauma and to enhancing profound Attachment system repair. It is based on the principle that attachment security or insecurity has physiological, as well as psychological, symptoms. As these symptoms are mostly unconscious, using words or insight does not give us adequate access. We need to work at a level below language, essentially with a different part of the brain.
That part is the right brain where the limbic system holds visceral, emotional and implicit memory. It is there that our earliest sense of ourselves, and in relation to others, is formed. Without accessing this, we are working with only a linguistic representation, frequently distorted, of those formative experiences that provide our relationship blueprint and unconsciously guide us through our relationship to ourselves and others.
SAFE-T® uses a combination of the felt sense, interoception, imagination and a range of other expressive modalities to access this vital part of the brain and bridge new neural pathways to an explicit expression of Self and often a new narrative to live by.
Attachment work is the key to SAFE-T®. We use somatic skills, creative modalities and important principles to support our client’s growing sense of safety, trust, self-knowledge; ability to take risks, manage disappointments and rejections; and development of a deeply-held internal sense that a protecting, wise, and attuned someone lives inside of them, guiding them and keeping them safe while enhancing the capacity for joy.
Throughout SAFE-T® is a constant theme of compassion and kindness and, within that, love. It is our capacity to love from our own accessed secure attachment while in session with clients that creates the fertile soil for transformation, both of our clients and of ourselves.
Note: SAFE-T® is a synthesis of my trainings, study and experiences. Key influences are Dynamic Attachment Repatterning Experience; Circle of Security; Somatic Experiencing; Emotion Focused Therapy for Couples; Expressive Therapies and Sand Therapy.
Who Is This Training For?
- Counselling & Welfare Professionals who are passionate about therapeutically & creatively guiding their clients and themselves toward greater security internally and in their personal relationships. Graduates who have completed all of the requirements will be awarded certification in this ACA accredited training.
- Individuals, without counselling qualifications, who are interested in both gaining counselling skills, training and qualifications as well as understanding the fundamental concepts of attachment and interested in an exploration of their own attachment style are also welcome to attend, and will received a Statement of Attendance.
- This training course is accredited for OPD points by the Australian Counselling Association (ACA).
Requirements For Accreditation
- 3 x assignments:
- Literature Review – from required reading list
- Personal Reflection Journal & Presentation
- Case Study & Presentation with practical facilitation reflection
- Attendance at all six workshops
- Willingness to explore experiential exercises & understand own attachment history with the intention of moving toward increased secure functioning. This is crucial to trusting the process of SAFE-T® and trusting that it’s possible to earn security
- Recommended – 2 Individual sessions with a trained & experienced SAFE-T® Therapist
- 6 x 3 day workshops over 7 months
- 18 days of training
- 140 hours of training
- Must attend all training workshops to gain certification
- Must begin at workshop one
Here’s what we’ll cover during the 7-month Training:
It’s Somatic. It’s Relational. It’s Creativity on steroids.
It cultivates resiliency, state flexibility, healing, recovery and the self-agency to develop the counselling practice you desire for yourself and your clients.