Certificate in Somatic Attachment Focused Expressive Therapies™ (SAFE-T™)
In-Person Psychotherapy Training for Trauma Healing and Emotion Regulation in Children & Adults
Somatic Attachment Focused Expressive Therapies™ (SAFE-T™) are a range of modalities that can enhance profound Attachment System Repair.
You will Learn to:
- Identify attachment styles
- Use appropriate language that will help you attune quickly to your client’s nervous system
- Help clients identify secure base and safe haven gaps
- Enhance your clients model of self and model of other
- Support clients to find and grow internal and external resources
- Use ritual and rhythm in the counselling session to create safety
- Learn ‘corrective experiences’ necessary for secure functioning
- Introduce processes to support emotion regulation
- Involve the body in your experiential processes
- Use a range of expressive modalities to support your client’s learning style
- Increase your clients self awareness and emotional intelligence
- Increase your capacity for presence, holding space and ‘being with’ each client
The Training Program
In four, 3-day workshops over six months, you will learn the core principles that underlie the SAFE-T ™ approach to healing trauma and developing attachment repair, whilst also learning how to use a range of Expressive Therapy modalities.
What is SAFE-T™?
SAFE-T™ is a multi-modal approach to healing trauma and to enhancing profound Attachment system repair. It is based on the principle that attachment security or insecurity has physiological, as well as psychological, symptoms. As these symptoms are mostly unconscious, using words or insight does not give us adequate access. We need to work at a level below language, essentially with a different part of the brain.
That part is the right brain where the limbic system holds visceral, emotional and implicit memory. It is there that our earliest sense of ourselves, and our relationship to others, is formed. Without accessing this, we are working with only a linguistic representation, frequently distorted, of those formative experiences that provide our relationship blueprint and unconsciously guide us through our relationship to ourselves and others.
SAFE-T™ uses a combination of the felt sense, interoception, imagination, touch and a range of other expressive modalities to access this vital part of the brain and bridge new neural pathways to an explicit expression of Self and often a new narrative to live by.
Attachment work is the key to SAFE-T™. We use somatic skills, creative modalities and important principles to support our client’s growing sense of safety, trust, self-knowledge; ability to take risks, manage disappointments and rejections; and development of a deeply-held internal sense that a protecting, wise, and attuned someone lives inside of them, guiding them and keeping them safe while enhancing the capacity for joy.
Throughout SAFE-T™ is a constant theme of compassion and kindness and, within that, love. It is our capacity to provide loving presence from our own source of secure attachment while in session with clients that creates the fertile soil for transformation, both with our clients and within ourselves.
Note: SAFE-T™ is a synthesis of my trainings, study and experiences. Key influences are Dynamic Attachment Repatterning Experience; Circle of Security; Somatic Experiencing™; NeuroAffective Touch®; Emotion Focused Therapy for Couples; Expressive Therapies and Sand Therapy.
Who Is This Training For?
- Counselling & Welfare Professionals who are passionate about therapeutically & creatively guiding their clients and themselves toward greater security internally and in their personal relationships. Graduates who have completed all of the requirements will be awarded certification in this ACA accredited training.
- This is post-graduate training and only offered to professionals with prior qualifications in Counselling, Psychotherapy, Social Work or Psychology. It is not a pathway to becoming a registered counsellor.
- This training course is accredited for 10 OPD points by the Australian Counselling Association (ACA).
Requirements For Accreditation
- 2 x assignments:
- Literature Review – from required reading list
- Case Study & Presentation with practical facilitation reflection
- Attendance at all four workshops
- Willingness to explore experiential exercises & understand own attachment history with the intention of moving toward increased secure functioning. This is crucial to trusting the process of SAFE-T™ and trusting that it’s possible to earn security.
- Required – 3 x personal sessions and 3 x case consultations with a trained & experienced SAFE-T™ Therapist. Costs for this are not included in the training fees.
- 4 x 3 day in-person workshops over 6 months
- 12 days of training
- 96 hours of training
- Must attend all training workshops to gain certification
- Must begin at workshop one
Here’s what we’ll cover during the 6-month Training:
It’s Somatic. It’s Relational. It’s Creativity on steroids.
This training cultivates resiliency, state flexibility, healing, recovery and the self-agency to develop the counselling practice you desire for yourself and your clients.